Skip to main content

+BUTTERED LENTILS CURRY / DAL MAKHANI RECIPE:

Post Title: BUTTERED LENTILS CURRY / DAAL MAKHANI RECIPE:



A very versatile North Indian Curry,also known as Maa Ki Daal or Daal Makhani famously. A great curry which goes well with Rice, Pulao's or Roti's of any sort! Though we are originally North Indian's I guess living in the south for Generations sort of made us adapt to a lot of recipes from the south and so we never made daal Makhani at home, though it's my favourite and most ordered curry when I go to a restaurant. I didn't have any idea on how to cook this until I decided to give it a try, as I was falling short of options for dinner curries which is usually roti or wheat dosa's regularly! 
I picked this recipe from cookingnme and voila! It turned out great of course I did make minor adjustments to suit the taste of my family....:).


Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2




What Goes Inside:

  • 1/2 Cup of Black Urad Dal, Soaked Overnight,
  • 1 Fist Full Rajma/Red Kidney Beans, Soaked Overnight,
  • 1 big Cinnamon Stick,
  • 2-3 Cloves,
  • 2 onions( Medium sized) minced/ground,
  • 1 tomato, pureed,
  • 1 tbsp of tomato paste or sauce( I used paste),
  • 2 tbsp of butter or oil(I used butter),
  • 1 tbsp of minced garlic,
  • 1 tsp of minced green chillies(optional),
  • 2 tbsp of minced ginger,
  • 2 tsp of coriander powder,
  • 1 tsp of chilli powder (use Kashmiri chilli powder for better results),
  • 1 tsp of Jeera/roasted cumin powder,
  • 1 tsp of Garam Masala,
  • 1 large pinch of kasoori methi/dried fenugreek leaves,
  • 1 Cup of milk,
  • 2 tbsp of cream or pureed cashew paste (soak and grind cashew nuts, I used half n half of both),
  • 1-2 tsp salt (to taste),
  • 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder,
  • Few springs of coriander leaves for garnish,
  
How to Make Dal Makhani:

  • Wash, Clean and Cook the Urad dal ,and Rajma well along with 1 tspn ginger, garlic, onions and turmeric, salt,cloves and cinnamon stick.
  • Pick out the cloves and cinnamon stick and dispose once you finish pressure cooking the Daals,Lightly mash with a spatula after straining the water.
  • Grind half the onions, ginger n garlic before mincing the rest and set aside.
  • Heat the butter in a fresh pan and add the minced onions, Fry until golden brown. 
  • Add the ground onion, ginger and garlic and allow it to turn light brown (do not let it burn or turn dark in color).
  • Now add the minced ginger, garlic, coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Fry for a few minutes until fragrant.
  • Add the puree of one tomato and then follow it up by tomato paste or tomato sauce (I used paste) and cook for 3-4 mins until the mixture forms bubbles uniformly.
  • Throw in the minced green chillies fry well,add milk, and then add the cooked and mashed lentils, without excess water if remaining after preassure cooking(set aside the excess water separately) Cook covered for 8-10 mins until the dal absorbs the flavours well. Check the dal a couple of times in between and give the curry a stir.
  • Keep the flame/heat on simmer,(this is the well kept secret of a great tasting Dal Makhani, cook on simmer in a thick bottomed pan preferably and mash with spatula this thickens the gravy gradually).
  • When the dal is cooked well, open the lid and cook for a further few minutes.
  • If the gravy turns too thick and begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, add some water at this stage to correct the consistency.
  • When done, add the garam Masala, jeera powder and the cream or cashew paste(I added a little bit of both). Give it a good stir, but don't allow it to boil.
  • Now throw in a generous amount of kasoori methi,allow the curry to absorb the flavours well.
  • Adjust salt, garnish with the coriander leaves, and remove from fire.
  • Serve hot with rotis, phulkas,paranthas, naan, pulaos, or plain/jeera rice.

Notes:

    1. You must always soak the dals overnight before cooking it or at least for 3-4 hours before cooking it.
    2. Then proceed with the rest of the recipe for Dal Makhani as given above. Saves time..!!
    3. If you do not like your Dal Makhani spicy then omit the minced green chillies.
    4. Cook on simmer in a thick bottomed pan preferably and mash with spatula this thickens the gravy gradually, this is the well kept secret of a great tasting Dal Makhani



Comments

  1. Wat a rich looking delicious dal makhani..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dal Makhani looks yum, I haven't tried yet at home. I need to. thankyou for shearing. chowringhee satyaniketan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Chowringhee satyaniketan 😄😄 I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Welcome To Muggle Diaries

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and read my rantings and send in your valuable Comments or which I really really appreciate and hope to try out your advice someday.

Hoping to see you more often, do peep by and ,
chat-up, feel free to fill me in with whats happening at your end too :) .

Love,
The Muggle Mommy

Popular posts from this blog

+Green PeasPulao / Matar Pulao(One Pot Meal...;)

Matar/Green Peas Pulao(One Pot Meal): Weekend's somehow make me feel weak in the knees to eat rice...i feel really bored to have roti's & dosas the whole week through..!! My versatile pallets and the stomach who's used to eat variety from mom screams out and demands more variety on the weekends. However though a weekday today i broke the usual rules and cooked up my favorite "Matar Pulao" which doesn't take much time as well as it's not too much  of a labor, since it all goes in one pot and pressure cook cool and serve, so i don't need to even wash too many dishes, so last night's dinner was Green Peas Pulao, Karnataka style with a slight variation for the sake of good health..;P What goes Inside: 1Cup: Basmati Rice(i used Basmati, since this is what i can acquire here easily ) or normal cooking rice of your choice. Spices: As per your taste you may add or delete the same(Cinnamon sticks+Green Cardamom+Cloves+Cumin/Jeer

+Homemade Indian Curds / Yoghurt/ Dahi/ Thair Recipe:)

+Homemade curds Recipe: It's amazing how life changes after marriage! Especially simple things such as consumption of curds too .....after being marrying a ' mallu boy ', I was amazed at the way they either mix curd in everything or rather cook almost everything with curd!! Initially it was a culture shock for me, a Rajput( being born n brought up one)!! I hardly had had curd ever in life until then!! Well as with anyone things changed gradually for me too....I understood far too quickly that I need to master the art of making well set curd as soon as possible...( yes...even curd setting is as good as Art..!!)... well finally after 10 years of marriage, two kids and infinite trials and error methods I came out victorious, this one really works well each time!!! The important thing is it really works well on our wallets too....and works fantabulous-ly on the health of our kids too..:) Now I can brag about making my very own dahi- Sakkar, dahi n parantha's, dahi Kari'

Basic Eggless WWF Loaf Cake..;)

Basic Eggless WWF Sponge Loaf Cake..;) A Confession : Though I've been baking for quite sometime now,i must confess a basic sponge cake was more a matter of luck in my "cake"...Oops...sorry "case"..!!  I would go on and on like mom always very rightly said "Try try never say die... " i kept trying until i continued to succeed(psst: just to ensure i'm doing it perfectly right)..!!  Finally I've succeeded & so proud to shout it out loud to the world...i managed to bake the most "Mmmm..moist Eggless WWF Sponge Cake"...). It's been such a hit at my place that I've already baked it thrice in 3days in a row (I swear i'm just not exaggerating one bite..sorry bit..;) and also tried my new experiment "Basic Eggless WWF-Oatmeal & Chocolate Loaf Cake"...Well that recipe will follow soon though..!! Baking a cake always takes me through the nostalgia of school days where we learnt the famous nursery rhyme "