Skip to main content

+Busy-Day Chocolate Cake(+Dairy Free & +Low-Cal & Eggless))..;P

+Busy-Day Chocolate Sponge Cake(Dairy Free & Low-Cal n Eggless)..;P




Hi all i'm back and all set...Holidays really didn't go as planned....Since Hubby's granny passed away 2 days after we landed and the whole idea of a great holiday turned out on a very sad note, She was one sweetheart and great lady...i really really miss her, sooooo...unlike a great mom-in-law(which she never ever let me feel like she was a grand mom in law)...she was so much like my own nani-ma...sooo.... full of love and care and most importantly loved to feed all of us...just like all mom's n granny's. A grand era passed leaving only beautiful memories to be cherished behind.

Anyways..,now that i'm back i was looking for an opportunity for the right time to make my post...and finally so i found one.... It's hubby's birthday today and me and my little daughter decided to bake a home made chocolate-coffee cake pretty late last night(psst: hubby was off for a late night meeting).....so nothing could have been better than this Busy - Day +Chocolate Cake(Dairy free and Low-Cal plus egg less) It's +Vegan..!!Just what my hubby would have loved to have...a simple yet low cal. The best thing for me especially with my little one is that it involves minimal cleanup-- the ingredients are blended in the very pan that goes into the oven,also as my hubby likes all low-cal and dairy-free,n i had run out of eggs so i opted for the eggless option.

However for people who don't mind making this absolutely low-cal a little rich...just for the occasion i dunked the cake with a wee bit of coffee liquor(non-alcoholic of course) and splurged in a good amount of chocolate mousse and then finally topped the cake with fresh cherries.....so here's to AJ WITH LOTS OF LOVE FROM ME AND OUR LIL ONE Anushka..;p."Happy Birthday"..;P.    

Busy-Day Chocolate-Coffee Cake Recipe:

Adapted From:Lucinda Scala Quinn's "Mad Hungry" cookbook.




What goes inside:
  • 1&1/2 Cups: All Purpose Flour.
  • 3Tbsp: Unsweetened Cocoa(i used Hershey's).
  • 1 Cup: Sugar.
  • 1Tsp: Baking Soda.
  • 1/2Tsp: Coarse Salt.
  • 1Tsp: Instant Coffee.
  • 6Tbsp: Vegetable Oil(I used Olive Oil).
  • 1Tsp: Pure Vanilla Extract.
  • 1Tbsp: White Vinegar.
  • 1 Cup: Cold Water.
How to put them in together:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In an 6-inch round baking pan, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder,instant coffee, baking soda, and coarse salt.
  2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add vegetable oil, pure vanilla extract, white vinegar, and cold water. Whisk until well combined. 
  3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
  4. Remove From pan cut it out evenly and use frosting of your choice to decorate cake( i Used Chocolate Mousse and Coffee Liquor) or go ahead and just use it just as plain chocolate sponge cake.
PS: At first i wasn't too sure how good this would turn out, since i was using vinegar for the first time, but i was absolutely amazed with the results and can vouch on this one for it's moistness,extremely moist and melt in the mouth chocolate sponge cake (or should i say a mocha sponge..???).

Yield: Serves 8.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes. 
Baking Time: 35-40 minutes.

Comments

  1. Welcome back Dear:) Cake looks fabulous... Eggless, dairy free and low cal- what more can we ask for. Very nice way to enjoy your hubby's B'day with your family.... So sorry about your Hubby's granny.. may her soul rest in peace..

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy bday to ur hubby,the cake looks very inviting and moist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chitra,

    Thanks for dropping by,yup the cake is as tasty as it looks do give it a try and lemme know...;P & Thanks for ur wishes..;P.

    Hope to see you more often..;P
    TC,
    Shruthi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Reva,

    Thanks so much for ur wishes, yup the sponge was initially dairy free, low-cal, and eggless, but then at the end of trying to making a Chocolate Mocha Mousse Cake I kind of managed to add a wee lil bit of calories to this one...being made for a spl occasion it had to look special too..;P.
    You'll se what it turned out to be in my next post...coming up...;P.

    Shruthi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake looks absolutely delicious.. Love choc cakes and coffee too is my weakness :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shruthi
    I tried this cake yesterday & must say it was yum! I did 3/4 cup WWF & 3/4th cup APF . But i noticed the cake did not hold its shape , it crumbled when cut..may be it required more liquid to hold it I cant guess.. but next time I will try adding some fruit paste to it..my guess is vinegar makes a cake very dry but no doubt it is very soft...!! Also I guess the sugar was little less for me as I used unsweetened cocoa pd I think I should have added more sugar or maybe added some chocolate syrup...BUT overall a very good Chocolate cake & definitely I will use this as a base recipe to try other kinds... & forgot to mention that addition of java does give a kick!!

    THANKS
    sandhya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome To Muggle Diaries

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and read my rantings and send in your valuable Comments or which I really really appreciate and hope to try out your advice someday.

Hoping to see you more often, do peep by and ,
chat-up, feel free to fill me in with whats happening at your end too :) .

Love,
The Muggle Mommy

Popular posts from this blog

+Green PeasPulao / Matar Pulao(One Pot Meal...;)

Matar/Green Peas Pulao(One Pot Meal): Weekend's somehow make me feel weak in the knees to eat rice...i feel really bored to have roti's & dosas the whole week through..!! My versatile pallets and the stomach who's used to eat variety from mom screams out and demands more variety on the weekends. However though a weekday today i broke the usual rules and cooked up my favorite "Matar Pulao" which doesn't take much time as well as it's not too much  of a labor, since it all goes in one pot and pressure cook cool and serve, so i don't need to even wash too many dishes, so last night's dinner was Green Peas Pulao, Karnataka style with a slight variation for the sake of good health..;P What goes Inside: 1Cup: Basmati Rice(i used Basmati, since this is what i can acquire here easily ) or normal cooking rice of your choice. Spices: As per your taste you may add or delete the same(Cinnamon sticks+Green Cardamom+Cloves+Cumin/Jeer

5K Visitors, and a well deserved VACATION@Sasuraal Genda Phool...Don't go Anywhere I WILL BE BACK..!!

5K Visitors, and a well deserved VACATION @ Sasuraal Genda Phool...Don't go Anywhere I WILL BE BACK..!! & a Thankyou Note..!! It's celebration time again..@ TS. This time it's because Traditional Secrets touched 5000 visitors since May 2010, well i really do not have words to express my gratitude to all of you who made this possible,,i'm really humbled beyond words can ever express..!!! All i can say is Thank You...Thank you and Thank You..!! When i started this blog I just had Madhuri of Cook Curry Nook Fame,Deepti of Some Salt to Taste Fame..,Suma Rowjee of Cakes & More to name a few and few more great blogger friends from whom i really really learnt a lot...Running a blog, plus home, my lil one and keeping up with the passion of my life and writing about it would definitely not have been possible without the support of these friends and of course MY BETTER HALF who i turned BITTER many a times..when i did not give much needed attention to my Home...whil

+Homemade Indian Curds / Yoghurt/ Dahi/ Thair Recipe:)

+Homemade curds Recipe: It's amazing how life changes after marriage! Especially simple things such as consumption of curds too .....after being marrying a ' mallu boy ', I was amazed at the way they either mix curd in everything or rather cook almost everything with curd!! Initially it was a culture shock for me, a Rajput( being born n brought up one)!! I hardly had had curd ever in life until then!! Well as with anyone things changed gradually for me too....I understood far too quickly that I need to master the art of making well set curd as soon as possible...( yes...even curd setting is as good as Art..!!)... well finally after 10 years of marriage, two kids and infinite trials and error methods I came out victorious, this one really works well each time!!! The important thing is it really works well on our wallets too....and works fantabulous-ly on the health of our kids too..:) Now I can brag about making my very own dahi- Sakkar, dahi n parantha's, dahi Kari'