Skip to main content

+Gulab Jamun..;)

We started The New Year with an absolute melt-in-the mouth Indian Delicacy " Gulab Jamun"..;)...Hope the whole year gives us sweet news and joy all thru..Anushka & AJ seem to be in love with Gulab Jamun's...the first time i did it i made it this way,i came across this awesome recipe from Sailu's Blog(A fellow blogger),but i had a bit of my own adjustments made to suit our tastebuds..). But when my lil one doesn't give me enough time i just go for the other option "MTR" my favourite and most reliable brand in making gr8 Gulab Jamun's..;) Okay...That's one fact the second fact being that i can fastforward the whole process...and the final fact being that sometimes even i am short of time and most importantly patience...like i am today,believe it or not i've been typing this post for the past whole week...;( sorry guys..i really wish i could really really write the whole in and out of loads of "gup-shup" but seriously... my lil one..she just seems to hate (or rather "HATE" in capital letters) the sight of me even touching the laptop leave alone using it...;( anyways so lets quickly get on with the recipe...Home made, absolute melt in the mouth... gulab jamun's:


Here's what goes in for the Sugar Syrup:

  • 1&3/4th Cups: Sugar.
  • 2 Cups: Water.
  • 4-5 Clove's Of Cardamom: Crushed along with a Teaspoon of Sugar in the grinder(Optional).

How to put it in together:
    1. Mix the Sugar & Water together in a Deep & wide Bottomed Pan assuming the size such that you will be soaking the fried Jamun's in the same at a later stage(So ensure you pick your pan carefully, or else the soaked Jamun's may break when you try to add or remove them from the pan so there's enough room for all).
    2. Add the crushed cardamom powder to the mixture and let it boil for about 15-20 minutes,Preferably on low or medium heat so the water does not evaporate quickly and the sugar may caramelize.
    3. Keep stirring every now and then and remember you will know your sugar syrup is ready when you will notice white circular marks begin forming along the sides of the pan in which you are heating the mixture.

    Here's what goes in for the Gulab Jamun's:

    • Khoya:1Cup (can also be prepared by boiling & continuously stirring one liter of milk, on medium heat till it forms a thick dough like mixture).
    • All purpose Flour or Maida:3/4th Cup. 
    • Soda Bi Carbonate/Cooking Soda:1/4th Tspn.
    • Baking Powder:1/4th Tspn.
    • Clarified butter/Ghee: 4Tbsp.
    • Sugar Syrup(warm):3Tsp.
    • Warm/Cold Milk:1-2 Tbsp approx/you could add more if required.
    How to put it in together:
    1. Sieve the flour thoroughly. Add the khoya and baking powder & Soda Bi Carb to the flour and mix well to attain the appearance of bread crumbs.
    2. Now add the 3 Tsp of sugar syrup and 1-2 tbsp of milk to make a soft dough. The milk can be adjusted to form a soft  dough.
    3. Keep aside for half an hour. After half an hour knead it again and make balls by gently rolling each portion between your palms into a smooth ball. You must ensure you fry the readied balls before they begin to dry, if they dry up,they begin to crack and break.(another tip: make sure the oil is just hot enough to fry the jamun's,or they will break).
    4. Heat the Oil/Ghee in a deep frying pan preferably on medium heat and then turn the flame to low and gently slip in the Jamun's into the oil/ghee from the side of the fry pan one by one.
    5. Take Off the frying pan from the fire and you will see the Jamun's rise above the oil/ghee in a minute. Now bring the pan back on fire on low heat and continue to fry the Jamun's gently, stirring constantly,so that they cook completely from inside & they acquire even color on all sides and do so until it turns golden brown all over.(I know the process sounds very long but it hardly takes time..). Fact Tip:You must remember the Gulab Jamun's will turn out one shade lighter than what color you fried them, once you dip them in the Sugar Syrup. 
    6. As you begin to fry the Gulab Jamun's ensure your sugar syrup is ready and warm,begin frying the jamun's and drop them carefully in the warm sugar syrup and with the help of a spout pour warm sugar syrup on it to soak it well from all sides or else you will have lumpy looking jamun's, soaking it properly will ensure the picture perfect round gulab jamun's to soak well and look pretty tooo....just as you can see in the picture.. and also will enable the juice to penetrate thoroughly inside giving you immensely soft and juicy..heavenly Jamun's.(trust me on this one..;)).
    7. AND WULLAH...WE HAVE ABSOLUTE MELT IN THE MOUTH..GULAB JAMUN'S READY TO BE DEAVOURED ON..;)
    8. Enjoy them warm or with Ice-Cream or Kulfi's they taste just as great ...and do not forget to leave me a note..;). 



    Comments

    1. Wow these looks so perfect n tempting - my hubby's all time fav Indian dessert- he can eat a LOT of them in one shot ..lol :)

      US Masala

      ReplyDelete
    2. Spongy and juicy jamuns looks very tempting and delicious..

      ReplyDelete
    3. @Aipi/Priya:Go ahead..Ladies give these delectables a try,enjoy and lemme know...hope to hear from you more often..!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. First time to ur space. Melt in the mouth gulab jamoons are a perfect to way to start a new year. Happy Blogging.

      ReplyDelete
    5. U hv a wonderful space dear..visit mine as time permits..gulag jamun looks super yummy n tempting...drooling..
      Sanyukta
      http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    6. wow jamuns look heavenly....thx for the valuable tips

      ReplyDelete
    7. Shruthiji thanks for posting this recipe, all through my childhood I grew up eating GJ's made by my MOM this way and this one tastes quite different from the ones made from ready mix.
      One question though, are you sure it is 3/4 cup maida? And are you sure some sugar syrup is to be added to the khova? I want to make GJ this weekend if you could drop in a line and eliminate my doubts. Thanks
      Arif-Ex resident of UAE

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hi arif,

      This is a recipe I learnt from a fellow blogger as I have mentioned in my post, however, 1 have followed this recipe as is and has turned out to be good for me.

      However I would say the results do vary with the quality of ingredients that are usually used, some people use store bought Khova, while I used the one i prepared at home and, I have followed this recipe to the dot.

      And yes the measure I follow is 3/4 cup maida per cup of Khova. Also the 3tbsps of sugar syrup u need to add along with warm milk in the Khova is purely to soften the dough and slightly sweeten it.
      Hope I have cleared all ur doubts and of thank you so much for visiting my blog, and I'm really sorry about the delay in responding, since I have just delivered my second baby, been really tied up with the children.

      Anyways thanks for dropping by, and good luck with trying the recipe.

      Regards,
      Shruthi

      Sent from my iPad

      ReplyDelete
    9. Hi Shruti

      Heartiest Congratulations for the 2nd baby. Thanks a lot for taking out time to respond to my mail even though you are so very busy (I can understand that being a Father and having been through those early days, first 12 weeks keep you extremely busy). My preferred way is to use khova prepared at home, I believe if you reduce Maida a bit you end up with more tasty Gulab Jamuns, and the way my Mom used to fry them is unique she used to put a spoon ghee on the pan and make them in to 1cmX1cm section and 3cm long and fry them on a very light flame and the results were to be frank un-imitable till date, means I could not taste such Gulab Jamooons else where, I will send you the recipe after doing it my self and after getting proper results.Please wait (and no need to send response to this mail in a hurry as I know you are busy).

      Best regards and thanks,

      Arif Mohiuddin on Gulab Jamun..;)

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Welcome To Muggle Diaries

    Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and read my rantings and send in your valuable Comments or which I really really appreciate and hope to try out your advice someday.

    Hoping to see you more often, do peep by and ,
    chat-up, feel free to fill me in with whats happening at your end too :) .

    Love,
    The Muggle Mommy

    Popular posts from this blog

    +Green PeasPulao / Matar Pulao(One Pot Meal...;)

    Matar/Green Peas Pulao(One Pot Meal): Weekend's somehow make me feel weak in the knees to eat rice...i feel really bored to have roti's & dosas the whole week through..!! My versatile pallets and the stomach who's used to eat variety from mom screams out and demands more variety on the weekends. However though a weekday today i broke the usual rules and cooked up my favorite "Matar Pulao" which doesn't take much time as well as it's not too much  of a labor, since it all goes in one pot and pressure cook cool and serve, so i don't need to even wash too many dishes, so last night's dinner was Green Peas Pulao, Karnataka style with a slight variation for the sake of good health..;P What goes Inside: 1Cup: Basmati Rice(i used Basmati, since this is what i can acquire here easily ) or normal cooking rice of your choice. Spices: As per your taste you may add or delete the same(Cinnamon sticks+Green Cardamom+Cloves+Cumin/Jeer

    5K Visitors, and a well deserved VACATION@Sasuraal Genda Phool...Don't go Anywhere I WILL BE BACK..!!

    5K Visitors, and a well deserved VACATION @ Sasuraal Genda Phool...Don't go Anywhere I WILL BE BACK..!! & a Thankyou Note..!! It's celebration time again..@ TS. This time it's because Traditional Secrets touched 5000 visitors since May 2010, well i really do not have words to express my gratitude to all of you who made this possible,,i'm really humbled beyond words can ever express..!!! All i can say is Thank You...Thank you and Thank You..!! When i started this blog I just had Madhuri of Cook Curry Nook Fame,Deepti of Some Salt to Taste Fame..,Suma Rowjee of Cakes & More to name a few and few more great blogger friends from whom i really really learnt a lot...Running a blog, plus home, my lil one and keeping up with the passion of my life and writing about it would definitely not have been possible without the support of these friends and of course MY BETTER HALF who i turned BITTER many a times..when i did not give much needed attention to my Home...whil

    +Homemade Indian Curds / Yoghurt/ Dahi/ Thair Recipe:)

    +Homemade curds Recipe: It's amazing how life changes after marriage! Especially simple things such as consumption of curds too .....after being marrying a ' mallu boy ', I was amazed at the way they either mix curd in everything or rather cook almost everything with curd!! Initially it was a culture shock for me, a Rajput( being born n brought up one)!! I hardly had had curd ever in life until then!! Well as with anyone things changed gradually for me too....I understood far too quickly that I need to master the art of making well set curd as soon as possible...( yes...even curd setting is as good as Art..!!)... well finally after 10 years of marriage, two kids and infinite trials and error methods I came out victorious, this one really works well each time!!! The important thing is it really works well on our wallets too....and works fantabulous-ly on the health of our kids too..:) Now I can brag about making my very own dahi- Sakkar, dahi n parantha's, dahi Kari'